Friday, September 14, 2012

Corner Shelf Redo





Happy Friday!
I am so excited to share one of my first projects with you. I will be taking a corner shelf from drab to fab!
Getting Started: So I am not very good at remembering to take before pictures (too excited to start the project), but the shelf started out pretty rough. It had an old oak stain on it and it looked like someone left wet newspaper stuck to the top. Not to fear, with a good sanding I had it mostly down to the bare bones. I had to hand sand the inner corners and the smaller details.


Here is a picture about half way through sanding.

After sanding and a good wipe down, it's time to paint! I knew I wanted more than just wood peeking through after distressing, so I started with a black paint + primer spray. Unfortunately, I do not have this picture on hand either (I know I'm fail, but I promise to get better). Let dry, then I applied a blue/grey color called Flint Stone from Ace Hardware. Sit around, watch more paint dry..it's the worst part when you don't have any patience! Okay, now for the fun part! Distressing! I heavily sanded the whole shelf with fine grit sandpaper, paying the most attention to corners and details. I wiped it down really well and then applied protective finish. 


I am super happy I choose to have the black in there as well, it really adds something!



Hope you enjoyed this redo as much as I did! 



1 comment: